The Pipe Fitters Blue Book Revised 2010 Edition
This is one of the most widely used books in civil engineering which gives a broad overview of the intricacies of pipe fitting. It is easy to understand and contains useful illustrations. You can also find layouts, common pipe angles, offsets and more.
- Easy to Understand
- Useful illustrations
- Handy to carry around for instant access to knowledge
- Poor quality paper.
- Pages fall out easily
Structures: Or Why Things Don’t Fall Down 1st Edition
Want to learn about structures and why bridges don’t fall down? Learn about the principles involved in designing tall buildings so they stay upright. Learn how a wall can hold back tons of water. This book gives insight into engineering and design without complicated concepts and technical jargon. It teaches about torsion, shear, stress, compression and fracture and similar engineering concepts in a clear, concise format. Perfect for beginners and professionals alike.
- Available on Different platforms
- Good Primer on Structural design
- Covers a wide range of topics
- Written for the layperson
- Narrator gets a bit verbose
- Some sections are a bit “dry”
- Ebook translation is very poor quality
PE Civil Reference Manual 16th Edition
This comprehensive manual condenses the complex topics that are required for the NCEES exams into smaller, easier to read sections. The manual addresses the current design standards and exam specifications including project planning, soil mechanics, means and methods, hydraulics, hydrology, structural mechanics, materials, geometrics and site development. It also gives tips for the exam day, a study schedule and up to date codes.
- Free Return shipping after the exam
- Water resource related topics very relevant
- Good Reference Manual
- A few errors are reported in the calculations
- References are not up to date
- Index is not accurate
- Low Paper Quality
FE Civil Review First Edition
This book, along with the FE Civil Practice book gives complete coverage of all exam areas. All the references you are needed to know for the exam are contained within. Topics covered include probability and statistics, structural design and analysis, transportation engineering, surveying, mechanics of materials, geotechnical engineering, hydraulics and hydrology, fluid mechanics, ethics and professionalism, environmental engineering, construction, engineering economics, computational tools and more. There is a comprehensive index of terms and step by step solutions to theory and application of concepts. There are example problems to solve which will help you learn the type of questions you may encounter in your exams.
- Updated and comprehensive
- Solutions are provided for each topic
- Perfect study aid for FE Civil exam
- Good Quality material
- Clear and detailed guidance and instruction
- Some sub-topics missing
- The registration code does not work, so unable to access an electronic copy of this book
- No clear guidance to finding the solutions to problems
- Only 10 questions per section and 1 question per topic
To Engineer Is Human: The Role of Failure in Successful Design
This book examines some of the famous failures and successes of engineering and the lessons learned. You can learn about what is perceived as perfection and beauty in engineering and what may be a disaster waiting to happen. Discover notions of engineering evolution and examples of spectacular designs along the way.
- Available in many different formats
- Very clear instructions and references
- Aimed not only at engineers but also laymen
- Very comprehensive and easy to understand
- Some Repetitive information
- A few inconsistencies
- Told more like a story than factual reporting
SE Structural Engineering Reference Manual 9th Edition
AS good start to structural engineering which includes designing and construction of a variety of different projects. Written by a qualified engineer, this manual is a good study aid for those interested in structural engineering.
- Great Practise problems
- Good Study aid for those interested in structural engineering
- Very comprehensive
- Very methodical in explaining all aspects of the NCEES SE
- Paper quality is a bit flimsy
- Lacks some important information on steel design
PE Civil Practice Problems
This book contains more than 900 different problems for you to apply learned knowledge and skills to in order to assess your knowledge and areas that may need improvement. These problems also help you learn the codes and standards that are needed. Topics covered include planning, site characterization, structural analysis, traffic engineering, water resources and environmental analysis.
- Direct multichoice questions
- Covers a wide spectrum of topics
- Longer complex problems to test knowledge
- Quite a few errors throughout the book
- Only available in paperback
- Not a clear study tool